Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dinosaur in German is "Dinosaurier"

This weekend we stuck around the local area. Saturday we went to Burg Nanstein Castle in Landstuhl. I forgot my camera :-( But it was fun to watch the boys run around and explore. They brought their shields and daggers and hunted for dragons! I also learned a couple of things: 1. Bring Euro everywhere you go. Gabe had to go back to town to get more $$ to pay for our drinks and pizza which took about 30 minutes. Germans do not accept plastic the way the U.S. does. 2. My German sounds better in my head than when spoken. I WAS able to tell our waitress that we would not like onions on our pizza but only after I told here we didn't want cheese. Good thing for the translator app on my iPhone because a pizza with bacon and onions and no cheese wouldn't taste very good. She and the cook had a good laugh when I corrected our mistake :-)


I took 2 pics with my iPhone of the boys looking over the village of Landstuhl


Another thing that seems to be fairly common here is Colabier. It's a half cola half beer drink that I guess I'll have to try...interesting...
Saturday night we were invited over to our new house by the current tenants...Michelle and Kyle Benwitz. They had many of the neighbors over so we could meet them. It was really fun. The kids got to run around and play with the other kids and get to know them and we got a few more tips on some of the quirks unique to the house. Ryan was tired and kept reminding us it was bedtime so we left around 8:30...both kids were out in about 5 minutes :-)


Sunday we went to the Dinosaur Park in Kaiserslautern with the Horton's (Steve. Lisa, Austin and Alex). Beautiful place. We ended up with the annual membership because I have a feeling we'll be spending a lot of time there. There are places for the kids to climb and play in the water. Perfect for a 75 degree Sunday afternoon. In one of the pictures you'll see Gabe swinging the kids in what looks like an onion. They loved that.
Dinosaur Park website






















 The membership also serves as a pass to the Japanese Gardens....can't wait to check that out. Here's a picture of us inside on of the buildings. It seems as though Easter is a pretty big deal here in Germany.
Next weekend...Belgium! (if the van gets here)

No comments:

Post a Comment