Monday, March 26, 2012

Back to Trier ~ 2000 Page Views!

Oh man, Spring has arrived here in Germany and to be honest, I don't think there's a better time of year here. Even though we had an unseasonably warm winter with virtually no snow, I still couldn't wait for it to be over. I love spring. I love all the beautiful flowers, wearing flip flops and feeling the sun on my face. I love going hiking with the boys, enjoying the fresh air and nature. Yesterday Gabe and I went for a run together and it felt great. I am not a winter person and every spring I rediscover just how much I am not a winter person!
On Saturday we decided, sort of last minute, to go back to Trier. We went last year to their Ostermarkt (Easter Market) and hadn't been back since. There are so many cities we want to see that we rarely go back to revisit the ones we've already been to but we knew we had missed a few things last time we were here. Also, it was nice to revisit it and feel a little more confident in terms of getting around.
Ryan didn't want to share his banana and Nutella crepe
This is our buddy from last year
We knew we missed seeing the Amphitheater (Augusta Treverorum) and definitely wanted to check it out this time. The amphitheater is from the Roman period (100 AD) and can house 18,000 spectators. Since 1986 it has been part of the UNESCO world heritage Roman Monuments, Cathedral and Church of Our Lady in Trier. We parked about a half mile away and walked through what appeared to be the large city park. There were a lot of young people sitting out enjoying the weather.
As we entered the museum we saw this huge foot...of course I had to get my picture taken by it.
We paid €6 for the family to enter which I thought was reasonable not just because it's an historical landmark but there is also a free bathroom inside :-) The boys enjoyed running around the underground cellar area. and checking out all of the different "hallways" the actors used before their performances. 
Dylan's getting pretty good at taking pictures
Trier is a very cool city...Gabe and I even said to each other that we wouldn't mind living there. It's only about an hour drive from the base so it's perfect for a quick day trip especially when the weather is nice. 

On a side note:

YEAH! I just went over 2000 page views! To most people (who don't blog) that might seem like a "whatever" statement but to bloggers anytime you reach a milestone in term a readers it's pretty cool! 2000 isn't a huge number but I'll take it. I started this blog when we got here to Germany last year so that we could keep a journal of our travels and so that my mother-in-law (who doesn't have a Facebook account) could see what we're up to. I never print pictures anymore and if I did they'd probably never even make to the mailbox so this worked out well for both of us. I'm also in love with technology, photos, my mac and the internet so blogging is a perfect hobby for me. Once I started posting stories and saw that other people besides my mother-in-law were reading it I started to enjoy it even more. Weird or narcissistic...whatever you want to call it....it's the truth. Bloggers continue to write because they want other people to read it AND if they're lucky readers will sometimes leave a comment. So, here I am at 2000 and I hope that number grows.

I love that this site has become, in some ways, a guide to those who may be moving here. I like that people can read about the places we've been, things we have seen and what we've learned about living overseas. I didn't have that when we got here. It seems we had to learn everything on the fly... our "Sponsor" did the bare minimum in terms of preparing us for our move. I hope to keep adding useful information as well as document our experiences over here. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm leaving you a comment, because I know the joy of receiving them as well. ;)
    I really want to go back to Trier - last time was when I was in a wheelchair, and it was raining half the time, so I had to hide under a restaurant umbrella so my cast didn't get wet. :/ Although, I hate to "revisit" places when there are so many other places that we haven't been to yet!! I always figure that we'll do the revisit thing when people come to visit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used your blog as a reference. I knew we missed something so I read your post to see what it was and then saw/remembered you were in a wheelchair. You definitely need to go back at some point. The city is so nice and I can't imagine bumping around in a wheelchair down the cobblestone streets..lol! You're right...best bet is to wait until you get visitors. That's how I feel about Paris.

    ReplyDelete